In the summer of 2016 my #PastmeetsPresent blogging challenge emerged, inviting everyone on the 1st of every month to share at least two photographs – one from the past and the other of the same view but taken in the past year.
The challenge began life here on my Portuguese blog, but participants didn’t need to be based in Portugal or even share photographs of Portugal. They didn’t even have to post on 1st of the month! The one rule was to share a relatively recent photograph taken by you and then another picture of the same view (or similar) but taken days, weeks or years before. The older picture didn’t even need to have be taken by you, it could be a postcard or a painting.
I have had a great time time going through the photographic archives, and then attempting to find the same locations to take a modern-day shot. Most of my ‘past’ photographs are courtesy of some great books, however after 18months I have begun to struggle to find an ‘old’picture every month. So in 2018 the challenge is moving to my other blog. The rules will remain the same, it will just be hosted somewhere I can also share non Portuguese. Having said that don’t be surprised if there are still a few Portuguese ones occasionally!
My last #PastmeetsPresent post on this blog will be on 1st December 2017, and after that you will find it on The Life of B.
If you decide to take part don’t forget to link to my most recent ‘Past meets Present’ and/or include the tag #pastmeetspresent. Here are a few previous ones to inspire you..
- 500 years of history
- Fountains of Estoi
- Changing High Streets
- A bridge makes all the difference in Alentejo
- The history of salt
- 20th century terraces in the 21st
- A glimpse of a garden’s past
- An extraordinary transformation in April
- A day late in March, but such a great video
- Discovered that things are not always as old as they seem
- In January we were playing ‘spot the difference’
- In December it was lighthouses
- Considered the prettiest town in the Algarve
- In October 2016 I was ‘Hitchin’ A Ride’
- In September 2016 we visited Faro
- And in August 2016 my time machine took us to Olhão
- My first proper ‘Past meets Present’
- Not a true ‘Past meets Present’ but still a fun look back in the archives